PopSessions: Lara Jean Chorostecki shares her Pop Culture Obsessions
By Richard Rushfield September 27, 2013 6:18 PM
Amid all the wonderful creepiness of NBC's "Hannibal," perhaps no character is more wonderfully disturbing than the relentless, amoral crime blogger played by Lara Jean Chorostecki. On break from the show, the first season of which is out on DVD this week, Chorostecki checked in with us by phone from Vancouver to talk about her pop culture obesessions road to Dr. Lecter's couch.
1. What was the first movie you saw? "Bambi"
2. What movie makes you cry? "Life Is Beautiful." Ironically, not "Bambi." My mother thought I was heartless because I didn't cry at age 6. But right at the very end of "Life Is Beautiful," when the kid sees his mom and goes, "Mama!" that's when I sob right through the credits.
3. What movie character do you wish you could be? Princess Buttercup from "The Princess Bride." It's a female character, but I get to be around castles and pirates.
4. What do you eat or drink while watching a movie in the theater? Nothing — I have too many allergies. I drink water.
5. What’s the TV show you never miss? "Scandal," even though it was airing at the same time as "Hannibal." I'd watch it right after.
6. What TV show would you like to live in? "The Walking Dead," just to see how long I could survive.
7. Who is your TV crush? Marshall Erickson from "How I Met Your Mother."
8. What TV theme song do you still remember the words to? "Fresh Prince" and "Friends."
9. What’s the guiltiest pleasure currently on your DVR? HGTV. I could sit and watch it for hours, especially "Flea Market Flip." I like to watch what they do with these found objects, and I get inspired and think that maybe someday, when I have some time, I'll get out the sandpaper and do it myself.
10. What is your favorite karaoke song? "Summer [Nights]" from "Grease." I'm a nerd.
11. What is your favorite album? "Revolver" — the Beatles. And Fleetwood Mac — "Rumours."
12. What was your first concert? I don't remember exactly, but I imagine it was something orchestral because I grew up with parents who had a great love of classical music.
13. What song was playing during your first kiss? My first kiss, I was 6 years old, and it was a very noisy kindergarten. It wasn't a real kiss, just a kindergarten kiss, and I'm sure some lovely "Sesame Street" song was playing as we pecked.
14. What website do you visit when no one is watching? I don't visit any websites I'd be ashamed of. But there's a cat site on Facebook I look at every day to see what they've posted, the memes people have made of adorable cats. I'll spend hours on YouTube watching funny cat videos.
15. What phone app do you use the most? Twitter.
16. Who is your favorite tweeter? Bryan Fuller, because he's awesome and always reposts all the artwork by the "Hannibal" fans.
17. What article of clothing could you not live without? Right now I'm in love with my Toms like everyone else because they are very functional and fashionable.
18. What was on your favorite T-shirt when you were growing up? I had a TV shirt in my teenage years that I still wear, a picture of Grover that says "Super Grover."
19. Did you have a poster of a celeb on your wall when you were a kid or a teen? I didn't. I had pictures of cats. Two gray kittens in a basket together. And just one of Christian Bale in "Newsies."
20. Have you ever dressed as a celeb for Halloween? Who? I dressed as Invisible Girl from "The Incredibles.”